Gilpin Hall is the product of nearly 190 years of active response to community needs.
1824: A group of Wilmington women initiated a movement to establish a shelter for poor widows and orphaned children. This ambitious effort was endorsed by General Lafayette during an historic visit to the city of New Castle when he appealed “to the benevolence of a feeling and humane Public, for aid in their enterprise…” and made a personal request to the men of Wilmington to give generously to “fatherless children and to the solitary widow”.
1826: The General Assembly of the Borough of Wilmington passed an act incorporating the Lafayette Asylum for Indigent Widows, Single Women and Orphan Children.
1855: Several sponsors of the initial project formed the successor organization, the Female Society for the Relief and Employment of the Poor that was incorporated by the General Assembly in Dover.
1866: The General Assembly in Dover amended the incorporation by changing the name to Home for Aged Women.
1869: The Home for Aged Women purchased a portion of its present site on the corner of Gilpin Avenue and North Harrison Street.
1873: The Home for Aged Women erected a building at 1109 Gilpin Avenue.
1875: The General Assembly renewed the corporate charter.
1920: A lounge, also used as the Dining Room, was added.
1956: A wing which housed the infirmary, laundry and dining room was constructed.
1975: The Minquadale Home for Men was merged with the Home for Aged Women and the corporate name was changed to Home for Aged Women-Minquadale Home, Inc. The facility came to be known as Gilpin Hall.
1989: A Committee of the Board of Managers was established to develop a Long-Range Plan for Gilpin Hall.
1997: A new state of the art facility was opened at 1101 Gilpin Avenue, expanding the capacity and scope of the organization to include an Adult Day Program, Assisted Care, Intermediate and Skilled Nursing Care.